Photograph Gallery ~ West Street
Horncastle's Queen Elizabeth Grammar School.
Maypole House. Built as a private residence in the late Victorian period near the site of a May Pole which marked the western boundary of Horncastle.
Used as a preparatory School in the thirties.
Occupied by the Army in WW2.
Operated as a School until the sixties.
Now a private residence.
Opposite the Fighting Cocks.
Edward Harrison M.D. (1759-1838) cared for the insane in his private asylum at 30 West Street, Horncastle.
(House in the centre)
The Fighting Cocks
One of the town's older pubs.
Dating back to the mid-18th century, it had its' own brewhouse and cock pit until 1849 when cock fighting was made illegal.
It had two large scythes on the wall which commemorate the Scythe Fair held on the 21st august when blacksmiths supplied scythes for the harvest.
The Reindeer Hotel.
Used regularly by horse dealers, 1820 to 1900, who returned each year.
The inn paddock was used for auction sales of hunters and carriage horses,
The Reindeer Hotel
Old photo of Reindeer Hotel
Masons Arms beerhouse
The last building on the right, in this old photo of West Street, is the Masons Arms beerhouse.
Great Northern Hotel
This hotel was ideally positioned opposite the railway station.
It was built and opened in 1855 when the railway arrived at Horncastle.
Perhaps because of its proximity to the railway it was favoured by many foreign buyers to the Horse Fair.
It closed in 1960.