Hotels and Pubs

Many of the pubs and hotels which existed within the town. Some now long gone, others still recognizable. At its peak, in about 1860, it is estimated that there were 48 inns in the town, one for every 100 of the population!

Undoubtedly their numbers could be connected to the Great August Horse Fair, which was the largest in the world in the 19th century. Many inns had extensive stabling. 

For more information please read 'Horncastle & its inns, taverns and pubs, In Camera' by David N Robinson.  

Photograph Gallery ~ Hotels and Pubs
The Saracen's Head, where there had been a pub since at least the early 18th century.It was also known as the Oven because of the bakehouse behind.
Bridge Street

The Saracen's Head, where there had been a pub since at least the early 18th century.

It was also known as the Oven because of the bakehouse behind.

Bridge Street
The demise of the Saracen's Head in Bridge Street.
Bridge Street
The demise of the Saracen's Head in Bridge Street.
Bridge Street
The demolition of The Saracen's Head.
Bridge Street
The demolition of The Saracen's Head.
Bridge Street
White Hart and Saracens Head.An old view showing both Inns with a cart of barrels outside the Saracens.
Bridge Street

White Hart and Saracens Head.

An old view showing both Inns with a cart of barrels outside the Saracens.

Bridge Street
White Hart. Note the Fighting Cocks in the background. Also note the wooden railings by the river. The pub had one of the longest, although narrow, yards in the town and was used by carriers from villages to the west.In the 1840's the Inn had a bad reputation in the eyes of the local constabulary.
Bridge Street

White Hart. Note the Fighting Cocks in the background. Also note the wooden railings by the river.

The pub had one of the longest, although narrow, yards in the town and was used by carriers from villages to the west.

In the 1840's the Inn had a bad reputation in the eyes of the local constabulary.

Bridge Street
White HartAnother old view.
Bridge Street

White Hart

Another old view.

Bridge Street
Cross Roads Inn at bottom of Thimbleby Hill
Cross Roads Inn at bottom of Thimbleby Hill
The Greyhound now gone. At one time it had its own brewhouse and stabling for about 100 horses.Three football clubs were based at the Greyhound at different times.
East Street

The Greyhound now gone.

At one time it had its own brewhouse and stabling for about 100 horses.

Three football clubs were based at the Greyhound at different times.

East Street
The Greyhound and Stow's corner.
East Street
The Greyhound and Stow's corner.
East Street
The old Plough Inn.An old view of East Street with the Plough sign visible to the right of centre.
East Street

The old Plough Inn.

An old view of East Street with the Plough sign visible to the right of centre.

East Street
The old Vine Bar or top Vine, to distinguish it from the Vine Tap or Tavern in Lindsey Court.Sign on the right near the awning.
High Street

The old Vine Bar or top Vine, to distinguish it from the Vine Tap or Tavern in Lindsey Court.

Sign on the right near the awning.

High Street
A photo of the old dram house next to the derelict vicarage, taken about 1865.Demolished about 1868.
High Street

A photo of the old dram house next to the derelict vicarage, taken about 1865.

Demolished about 1868.

High Street
A better view of the old vicarage next to the Punch House.
High Street
A better view of the old vicarage next to the Punch House.
High Street

An interesting drawing/painting of the Punch and vicarage. Artist unknown.
High Street
An interesting drawing/painting of the Punch and vicarage.
 
Artist unknown.
High Street
The outstanding new Punch House (on the right) built in 1868 on the site of the old dram house and vicarage. Note the
High Street

The outstanding new Punch House (on the right) built in 1868 on the site of the old dram house and vicarage.

Note the "spire" on the roof that has since gone. Why?

High Street
A view of the new Punch house from Bridge Street.
High Street
A view of the new Punch house from Bridge Street.
High Street
The Punch House, 1990.
High Street
The Punch House, 1990.
High Street
19-23 High Street, 1991 George Hotel - This was a major hotel in the Town Centre, where George Burrows stayed, and wrote his book
High Street

19-23 High Street, 1991

George Hotel - This was a major hotel in the Town Centre, where George Burrows stayed, and wrote his book "Romany Rye".

High Street
21 and 23 High Street, (George Hotel) 1991.
High Street
21 and 23 High Street, (George Hotel) 1991.
High Street
Cross Roads Inn This Inn used to stand on the corner of the Lincoln Road and Thimbleby Road.
Lincoln Road

Cross Roads Inn

This Inn used to stand on the corner of the Lincoln Road and Thimbleby Road.

Lincoln Road
Vine Tap
Lindsey Court
Vine Tap
Lindsey Court
Vine Tap - Ready for demolition.Note the town's first gents public toilets on the right. 
Lindsey Court

Vine Tap - Ready for demolition.

Note the town's first gents public toilets on the right. 

Lindsey Court
By the side of the derelict Vine Tap stood a warehouse that was demolished to make way for the library.
Lindsey Court
By the side of the derelict Vine Tap stood a warehouse that was demolished to make way for the library.
Lindsey Court
This photo shows the bakers that occupied the right side of the Nelson and an old view of St. Lawrence Street.Taken before 1923.
Market Place

This photo shows the bakers that occupied the right side of the Nelson and an old view of St. Lawrence Street.

Taken before 1923.

Market Place
One of the few photos of the Lord Nelson, partly obscured by the Stanhope Memorial.The Post Office now occupies the site.
Market Place

One of the few photos of the Lord Nelson, partly obscured by the Stanhope Memorial.

The Post Office now occupies the site.

Market Place
The building with the Paterson sign was the Queens Head, now the Farmers Club.
Market Place
The building with the Paterson sign was the Queens Head, now the Farmers Club.
Market Place
The Punch House and Sellwood House.
Market Place
The Punch House and Sellwood House.
Market Place
The Punch House, from Bridge Street.
Market Place
The Punch House, from Bridge Street.
Market Place
The Punch House, 1966.
Market Place
The Punch House, 1966.
Market Place
The Punch House, 1966.
Market Place
The Punch House, 1966.
Market Place
The Angel has a long history as a public house and a beerhouse. It was established in about 1860.
North Street
The Angel has a long history as a public house and a beerhouse. It was established in about 1860.
North Street
The hotel is believed to have adopted its name from a narrow gauge railway outside, that came from the brickyards in Bells Yard.
North Street
The hotel is believed to have adopted its name from a narrow gauge railway outside, that came from the brickyards in Bells Yard.
North Street
This was the Cricketers Arms, also known as the Tom Cat.
North Street
This was the Cricketers Arms, also known as the Tom Cat.
North Street
Stood on the corner of North Street and Conging Street.
North Street
Stood on the corner of North Street and Conging Street.
North Street
A more recent photo of the old Woolpack.
North Street
A more recent photo of the old Woolpack.
North Street
The North side of the Rodney before extensive internal and external  improvements.
North Street
The North side of the Rodney before extensive internal and external  improvements.
North Street
Viewed from the north.
North Street
Viewed from the north.
North Street
Viewed from the south. Now called Old Nicks Tavern.
North Street
Viewed from the south. Now called Old Nicks Tavern.
North Street
Five Inns
In this old scene we can see the Bull Hotel, Red Lion, Fleece and the New Inn and Rodney in North Street.
The Bull Ring

Five Inns

In this old scene we can see the Bull Hotel, Red Lion, Fleece and the New Inn and Rodney in North Street.

The Bull Ring
Ship and Horse FairA scene outside The Ship during the August Horse Fair.Note the high level of the River Waring, under the old bridge, which often flooded with the River Bain.
The Bull Ring
Ship and Horse Fair

A scene outside The Ship during the August Horse Fair.

Note the high level of the River Waring, under the old bridge, which often flooded with the River Bain.
The Bull Ring
The Ship archway. The old archway to the stables.
The Bull Ring
The Ship archway. The old archway to the stables.
The Bull Ring
Old view of Kings Head.
The Bull Ring
Old view of Kings Head.
The Bull Ring
The King's Head in the background.
The Bull Ring
The King's Head in the background.
The Bull Ring
The King's Head, The Bull Ring, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The King's Head, The Bull Ring, 1970.
The Bull Ring
An old view of the The King's Head in The Bull Ring.
The Bull Ring
An old view of the The King's Head in The Bull Ring.
The Bull Ring
Kings Head flower display. A fine display of flowers that brighten up the Bull Ring.
The Bull Ring
Kings Head flower display. A fine display of flowers that brighten up the Bull Ring.
The Bull Ring
Coach passengers pose in front of the Red Lion.
The Bull Ring
Coach passengers pose in front of the Red Lion.
The Bull Ring
The Red Lion, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Red Lion, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Red Lion, 1985.
The Bull Ring
The Red Lion, 1985.
The Bull Ring
Bull Inn and Lloyds Bank.
The Bull Ring
Bull Inn and Lloyds Bank.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel in The Bull Ring. The Bull Hotel has always been Horncastle's leading Inn. In 1846 it had 24 bedrooms and stabling for 100 horses.The Assembly Rooms (large windows to the right) were used for public meetings and social events. Sir Joseph Banks attended events in these rooms.
The Bull Ring

The Bull Hotel in The Bull Ring.

The Bull Hotel has always been Horncastle's leading Inn. In 1846 it had 24 bedrooms and stabling for 100 horses.

The Assembly Rooms (large windows to the right) were used for public meetings and social events. Sir Joseph Banks attended events in these rooms.

The Bull Ring
The entrance to the yard of The Bull Hotel, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The entrance to the yard of The Bull Hotel, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel yard, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel yard, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel yard, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel yard, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel yard, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel yard, 1970.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel and Lloyds Bank, 1966.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel and Lloyds Bank, 1966.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel and Lloyds Bank.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Hotel and Lloyds Bank.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Ring, looking north from The King's Head.
The Bull Ring
The Bull Ring, looking north from The King's Head.
The Bull Ring
The Fighting Cocks One of the town's older pubs. Dating back to the mid-18th century, it had its' own brewhouse and cock pit until 1849 when cock fighting was made illegal.It had two large scythes on the wall which commemorate the Scythe Fair held on the 21st august when blacksmiths supplied scythes for the harvest.
West Street

The Fighting Cocks

One of the town's older pubs.

Dating back to the mid-18th century, it had its' own brewhouse and cock pit until 1849 when cock fighting was made illegal.

It had two large scythes on the wall which commemorate the Scythe Fair held on the 21st august when blacksmiths supplied scythes for the harvest.

West Street
Crown Inn
West Street
Crown Inn
West Street
The Reindeer Hotel.Used regularly by horse dealers, 1820 to 1900, who returned each year.The inn paddock was used for auction sales of hunters and carriage horses,
West Street

The Reindeer Hotel.

Used regularly by horse dealers, 1820 to 1900, who returned each year.

The inn paddock was used for auction sales of hunters and carriage horses,

West Street
The Reindeer Hotel
West Street
The Reindeer Hotel
West Street
Old photo of Reindeer Hotel
West Street
Old photo of Reindeer Hotel
West Street
Masons Arms beerhouseThe last building on the right, in this old photo of West Street, is the Masons Arms beerhouse.
West Street

Masons Arms beerhouse

The last building on the right, in this old photo of West Street, is the Masons Arms beerhouse.

West Street
Great Northern Hotel This hotel was ideally positioned opposite the railway station.It was built and opened in 1855 when the railway arrived at Horncastle.Perhaps because of its proximity to the railway it was favoured by many foreign buyers to the Horse Fair.It closed in 1960.
West Street

Great Northern Hotel

This hotel was ideally positioned opposite the railway station.

It was built and opened in 1855 when the railway arrived at Horncastle.

Perhaps because of its proximity to the railway it was favoured by many foreign buyers to the Horse Fair.

It closed in 1960.

West Street