Lost Buildings

See the town as it was. Many of the pubs that have disappeared, the old theatre, the original Punch House, and shops that simply fell down!

Did you know there was a cinema? Did you know the High Street was widened? Do you know what the Market Place looked like before the Stanhope Memorial was erected? Do you know about the many churches the town had?

Enjoy this very interesting selection.

Photograph Gallery ~ Lost Buildings
Bridge Street entrance before it was widened.
Bridge Street
Bridge Street entrance before it was widened.
Bridge Street
Entrance to Bridge Street from Market Square, before widening.
Bridge Street
Entrance to Bridge Street from Market Square, before widening.
Bridge Street
The Saracen's Head, where there had been a pub since at least the early 18th century.It was also known as the Oven because of the bakehouse behind.
Bridge Street

The Saracen's Head, where there had been a pub since at least the early 18th century.

It was also known as the Oven because of the bakehouse behind.

Bridge Street
The demise of the Saracen's Head in Bridge Street.
Bridge Street
The demise of the Saracen's Head in Bridge Street.
Bridge Street
View of Ingram Row from The Wong, 1979.
Cagthorpe
View of Ingram Row from The Wong, 1979.
Cagthorpe
The old Rural District Council offices, (Misses Harrison) 1966.
Conging Street
The old Rural District Council offices, (Misses Harrison) 1966.
Conging Street
Old Theatre in Dog Kennel Yard, 1970.
Conging Street
Old Theatre in Dog Kennel Yard, 1970.
Conging Street
Old Theatre in Dog Kennel Yard - detail, 1970.
Conging Street
Old Theatre in Dog Kennel Yard - detail, 1970.
Conging Street
A photo of the old dram house next to the derelict vicarage, taken about 1865.Demolished about 1868.
High Street

A photo of the old dram house next to the derelict vicarage, taken about 1865.

Demolished about 1868.

High Street
A better view of the old vicarage next to the Punch House.
High Street
A better view of the old vicarage next to the Punch House.
High Street

An interesting drawing/painting of the Punch and vicarage. Artist unknown.
High Street
An interesting drawing/painting of the Punch and vicarage.
 
Artist unknown.
High Street
22-33 High Street, 1970.
High Street
22-33 High Street, 1970.
High Street
27 High Street (Morton's).
High Street
27 High Street (Morton's).
High Street
Victory Cinema
High Street
Victory Cinema
High Street
Victory Cinema
High Street
Victory Cinema
High Street
Vine Tap
Lindsey Court
Vine Tap
Lindsey Court
Vine Tap - Ready for demolition.Note the town's first gents public toilets on the right. 
Lindsey Court

Vine Tap - Ready for demolition.

Note the town's first gents public toilets on the right. 

Lindsey Court
By the side of the derelict Vine Tap stood a warehouse that was demolished to make way for the library.
Lindsey Court
By the side of the derelict Vine Tap stood a warehouse that was demolished to make way for the library.
Lindsey Court
Old picture of Manor House Street before the health clinic was built.
Manor House Street
Old picture of Manor House Street before the health clinic was built.
Manor House Street
Overton's corner
Market Place

Overton's corner

Market Place
Market Place

Market Place
This photo shows the bakers that occupied the right side of the Nelson and an old view of St. Lawrence Street.Taken before 1923.
Market Place

This photo shows the bakers that occupied the right side of the Nelson and an old view of St. Lawrence Street.

Taken before 1923.

Market Place
One of the few photos of the Lord Nelson, partly obscured by the Stanhope Memorial.The Post Office now occupies the site.
Market Place

One of the few photos of the Lord Nelson, partly obscured by the Stanhope Memorial.

The Post Office now occupies the site.

Market Place
An old view of the Market Place.
Market Place
An old view of the Market Place.
Market Place
The old vicarage
Market Place
The old vicarage
Market Place
The old vicarage
Market Place
The old vicarage
Market Place
A painting showing the Market Place when it had buildings in the centre.
Market Place
A painting showing the Market Place when it had buildings in the centre.
Market Place
An old photograph of the Market Place.
Market Place
An old photograph of the Market Place.
Market Place
Shops in the centre of the Market Place and the High Street.
Market Place

Shops in the centre of the Market Place and the High Street.

Market Place
The Punch House and Sellwood House.
Market Place
The Punch House and Sellwood House.
Market Place
Sellwood House
Market Place

Sellwood House

Market Place
The demise of Sellwood House, c.1950.
Market Place
The demise of Sellwood House, c.1950.
Market Place
Market Place

Market Place
Old Methodist Chapel This lovely chapel was demolished due to its unsafe roof.
Queen Street
Old Methodist Chapel

This lovely chapel was demolished due to its unsafe roof.
Queen Street
The Methodist Church.
Queen Street
The Methodist Church.
Queen Street
Horncastle station
The Old Railway
Horncastle station
The Old Railway
Harrisons Warehouse, pre libraryThis superb 5 storey warehouse was demolished in the late sixties to make way for the present library.The foundations for the building were built upon the Roman walls thereby preserving them. They can be seen within the library. Rumour has it that William Marwood (Public Executioner 1820 - 1883) practised the technique called the long drop from a trapdoor within this building.
Wharf Road
Harrisons Warehouse, pre library

This superb 5 storey warehouse was demolished in the late sixties to make way for the present library.

The foundations for the building were built upon the Roman walls thereby preserving them. They can be seen within the library.

Rumour has it that William Marwood (Public Executioner 1820 - 1883) practised the technique called the long drop from a trapdoor within this building.
Wharf Road
Willow Close
Willow Close