HISTORY OF LINCOLNSHIRE FIRE BRIGADE

Presentation by Alan Maskell of Horncastle Fire Brigade

Wednesday July 19th 2017

Watson Infant School, Watsons Yard, West Street

7.30pm

 

Alan will talk about how the Lincolnshire Fire Brigade came to be formed.

He will talk about his own experiences in Horncastle and show some of his memorabilia and scrapbooks.

 

Parking is available at the left hand side of Friskneys.

Entrance Fee of £3.00 for non-members

Tea and coffee available 




Expand All | Collapse All

Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held on Thursday, 1st June 2017 at 1415 hours at No. 4 Low Toynton Close, Horncastle
Present: Mary Silverton (MS) Chairman, Jean Forgham (JF), Chrissie Chapman (CC), Annie Clark (AC), Bob Wayne (BW), Michael Hieatt (mH), Marilyn Hieatt (MH) & Trevor Butterworth (TB) Minutes Sec.
Apologies: Ruth Addison – Treasurer
In Attendance: Julie Bates (JB) Secretary in waiting..!
 
Item 1. Apologies for Absence
                 Ms accepted apologies from those members detailed above and then introduced Julie Bates.
 
Item 2. Approval of Executive Minutes 20/4/17 & Matters Arising (MA)
It was agreed the  Minutes represented a reasonably true record of what took place.  MS said under MA at Item 2 of those Minutes (Planters) our Planters Project team in conjunction with Horncastle Town Council deserved congratulations for securing the four new planters now in place at the junction of West Street and the Lincoln Road.  MS added under MA at Item 6 of those Minutes (Exhibition) the "Voices of the Great War” exhibition at the Stanhope Hall had been a qualified success in that the numbers attending were less than hoped for but otherwise had been well worth putting on.
 
Item 3. Correspondence
MS had received a letter referring to a Harold Alan Wilson who was born in 1885 and lived at 22, The Becks and was an Olympic competitor and winner in the 1908 games and the suggestion was a suitable recognition might be considered.   Discussed and agreed that subject to further investigation a Blue Plaque commemorating Wilson’s achievements might be in order.   MS to research and report back.   MS had received another letter from a David Pullin regarding the alleged WW2 pillbox on land off the Langton road near the old Mill suggesting the HHH consider it suitable as a historic project?   BW said this concrete edifice was probably put up by a local builder and appeared to be a common Type 22 construction and was situated on private land.  MH interjected  "Do we really need to investigate/preserve this?” but after some discussion it was agreed CC & BW would investigate further and report back.
 
Item 4. Financial Report & Membership Renewal
In the absence of the Treasurer, MS said the only changes from the previous meeting were an additional £600 coming in with an anticipated £102 going out!  As to membership renewals – there were still a few members yet to renew their subscriptions.  Secs. Note – could this possibly be you, dear reader?
 
Item 5. Planning Report
MH presented his very detailed and informative report to the other members who concurred unanimously with the many and various actions MH had taken on the Society’s behalf.   Copies of the last two Planning Reports are attached for member’s consideration.
Item 6. Display of Archives – 17th June.  Volunteers, Publicity & Catering

MS reminded members this event will be held in the Community Centre from 10.00 am until 4.00pm with an entrance fee of £2.50 to include tea/coffee & biscuits.    Catering to be arranged by AC.    MS will be preparing a quiz for attendees to enter.  BW to ask Paul Scott if we could have the loan of a projector to show our DVDs.    MS said we also need equipment to play the Mini-discs of peoples recorded memories.   If any member can help with these requirements – contact MS.
 
Item 7. Update of the Heritage Open Day (HOD)
CC said an initial meeting of interested parties had been arranged but it was a bit early to go into details and indicated a HOD project team meeting would take place in July.
 
Item 8. Report on Archive move, parking, costs involved & possible funding
MS said the move into the Horncastle Photographic Society’s (HPS) premises had been a dampening experience (it rained – heavily!) but completed successfully thanks to a good team effort.   MS added it was now much easier to carry out Archive work.    Parking for attendees at HHH meetings has been arranged with Mr Eric Young of Friskneys to use the area adjacent to Friskneys showroom (LHS). Mr Young has requested we provide him with a list of meeting dates in order Friskneys are aware of who is using this area. MS said the move to the HPS had been at no financial cost to the HHH.   MS will be applying to HTC for funding to cover certain Archive related expenses, e.g. book binding, storage and filing. Letter of thanks to be sent to the Admiral Rodney and SJB.
 
Item 9. AGM – Feedback and points raised.
MS said it had been a good AGM with encouraging member participation despite there being 23 apologies from members with previous commitments.  MS said regarding involving local schools with HHH related projects, her previous attempts had yet to bear fruit – mainly because of difficulties in integrating with the schools already overloaded curriculums and schedules.   The point about not having too many projects on the go at any one time was accepted; however the calendar project was still ongoing as was the need to record memories of Horncastle from the older generation before those memories passed on with them..! MS said Paul Scott had "rescued” old copies of the Horncastle News that Johnson Press was about to discard.  He will now Liaise with MS to get these copies scanned for incorporation into our Archives.
 
Item 10   Update on visit to Ayscouffee Hall & Spalding Gentlemen’s Society
MS aid a preliminary booking had been made for a 40 seater coach on the 25th Oct at a cost of £255.00.
 
Item 11. Christmas Event – Entertainment
CC confirmed the venue had been booked for the 8th December.   A debate ensued as to the desirability of and type of entertainment required.   Any suggestions from potential attendees will be welcomed!

Item 12. Progress on Projects and New Proposals
MS said the Roman Wall Preservation Project has almost been a "One Woman Show” under the enthusiastic and even forceful pursuance by Sheila Jonkers who has single-handedly secured a £6.5K grant!   MH suggested that Plaques are placed on the planters indicating that the Town Council and HHHS supplied and maintained them.    There are 16 sides.   MS to get quote.
 
Item 13. Any Other Matters
There were none.
 
Item 14. Date of Next Meeting – 13th July 2017
MS suggested the 13th July 2017 at the usual venue and this was enthusiastically agreed!    MS then terminated the meeting at 4.07 pm.


Trevor Butterworth
Executive Committee Minutes Secretary

see Planning section for Planning reports
 



         
 

  

Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held on Thursday, 20th  April  2017 at 1415 hours at No. 4 Low Toynton Close, Horncastle
 
Present: Mary Silverton (MS) Chairman, Jean Forgham (JF)  Michael Hieatt (MH) Planning,                      
Bob Wayne (BW),Annie Clark (AC) Ruth Addison (RA) Treasurer & Trevor Butterworth (TB) Minutes Sec.
Apologies: Marilyn Hieatt & Chrissie Chapman 
 
1. Apologies for Absence
MS accepted apologies from those detailed above.
 
2. Approval of Executive Minutes 10/11/16 & Matters Arising (MA)
These Minutes were agreed as a reasonably true record of what took place.   Under MA from the previous Minutes and at Item 10, MS said painting of the Horse Sculptures was still in the capable hands of Bob Wayne and his fellow Lions Club members who were currently awaiting a "Weather Window of Opportunity” to commence this project.    Regarding the planters, MS said this was under discussion with the Town Council as to cost & size.
 
3. Correspondence
MS said a donation of £50.00 had been received towards the Roman wall from a Member.   MS said the Library had for disposal copies of the Parish Magazine going back many years; MS will collect them.   MS said the Town Council had asked who "owns” the HHH/Civic Society logo?    Discussed and concluded not "owned” by anybody.   MS said EMACHS was becoming very pro-active and do we need to advise the wider membership.  Discussed and agreed MS to exercise discretion regarding advising members.   MS said she had been approached regarding a (supposed) war-time pill box off Langton Lane.  BW agreed to investigate.  
 
4. Financial Report 
RA said she had nearly reconciled the Income & Expenditure accounts and would have this completed in time for the AGM.   Meanwhile RA advised there had been some £6,467.00 in the Bank at the end of March with an indicated surplus of some £1,600.00
 
5. Planning Report from Mr M Hieatt
MH gave a a very comprehensive report on planning issues to the meeting.    See the attached report or if not attached will be forwarded when received.
                           
6. Exhibition "Voices of the Great War – Volunteers, Publicity, and Catering etc.Etc.
MS said the Stanhope Hall had been booked for Sunday, 30th April, 10.00 am – 4.pm and volunteers will be required to both make cakes and also operate the tea/coffee facility.   Entry will be free but donations very welcome!    CC & JF undertook to organise the tea bar rota and TB undertook the collection of display items from the Lincolnshire Museum of Life on Friday, 26th March and return same on Tuesday, 2nd April.  Member’s cake-making skills will be appreciated!   Volunteers are requested to contact MS.                                           

7. Progress on Search for New Premises for our Archive Material.
MS said she had sent out several letters to various organisations and the Horncastle Photographic Society (HPS) had responded favourably and negotiations are currently under way with them regarding use of their premises down Watsons Yard off West Street.   Further details will be revealed (hopefully positively!) at the AGM.
 
8. Annual General Meeting – Agenda and Positions Vacant
MS reminded members it would be held at the Admiral Rodney Hotel on Wednesday, 17th May at 7.30 pm.   MS asked if all current Executive Committee members were willing to stand again for next year.  TB said his domestic situation had already resulted in resigning from other local organisations and if there was a volunteer to take on the Secretarial role he wouldn’t be reluctant to give way!  MS said the Executive Committee really needed a Marketing Member – preferably a computer literate one who was savvy with the various internet media sites.   RA said we really need a list of all members willing to help - rather than just the regular few.     RA added a fund-raising member would be useful if the HHH is to continue expanding its role regarding projects and events.   MS said all the above to be raised at the AGM.
 
9. Approval for booking of Community Centre for Civic Day & Proposals for Displays.
MS said a provisional booking of the Community Centre had been made for the 17th June – Civic Day in order the HHH might display Archive Material.   Tea/coffee and biscuits available, no entrance fee but donations accepted.   10.00 am until 4.00 pm.    Volunteers will be welcome..!    Discussed and agreed but needs advertising in good time.
 
10. Proposed venue for a visit in October.
MS said she was suggesting Spalding Gentlemen’s Club and the gardens at Ayscoughee Hall on the 17th October was a good-value "double” event.   Discussed and agreed to visit the gardens in the morning followed by lunch at the Hall and the Club in the afternoon.    Coach to depart Horncastle at 0930 hours.
 
11. Christmas Event – Community Centre booking
MS proposed using the Community Centre on the 8th December for this annual event.   Agreed.   MS asked if any entertainment would be appropriate.   Debated and RA volunteered to investigate the availability of local and low-cost talent.
 
12. Progress on Projects.
MS said replacement planters were still awaiting a Town Council decision.   The Information Board project needed reconsidering in view of the current Town Clerks resignation.    Sculpture painting awaiting BW and his loins.    Updating of Archive material still ongoing.   Roman Wall – Sheila Jonkers is attending a fund-raising course prior to seeking funds for the proposed work on the wall !
13. Any Other Matters
JF said the programme of future events/speakers was almost complete.   MS said the Flood Defence visit organised by MH was very successful.
 
14. Date of Next Meeting
The next Executive Committee meeting will be held on Thursday, 1st June at 2.15pm at the Chairman’s residence.

Trevor Butterworth                        
Minutes Secretary
                     



Horncastle History & Heritage Society – Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held on the 12th January 2017 at 1415 hours at No. 4 Low Toynton Close, Horncastle

Present: Mary Silverton (MS) Chairman, Jean Forgham (JF), Annie Clark (AC), Marilyn Hieatt (MH), Bob Wayne (BW), Ruth Addison (RA), Michael Hieatt (MH) Planning & Trevor Butterworth (TB) Minutes Sec.
Apologies: Chrissie Chapman (CC)
 
Item 1. Apologies for Absence
MS accepted apologies from those detailed above.
 
Item 2. Approval of Executive Minutes 10/11/16 & Matters Arising
These Minutes were agreed as a reasonably true record of what took place. Under Matters Arising MS said the "Voices of the Great War” exhibition material included some 25 pop-up banners, Quizzes and various other related items and all at no charge to interested parties! Unless, of course we might be using them to sell things! We would also have to collect and return these items. A short debate agreed we should take advantage of this offer and plan for a March/April date. As for the Christmas Fair and the Christmas Meal, all agreed both were a great success.
 
Item 3. Correspondence
MS said there is now an EMACHS website available which renders expensive hard copy access obsolete for those interested and that ELDC now has a Visitors Link available on its website. MS has the details.
 
Item 4. Financial Report
RA said the CCLA account had now been closed but "difficulties” had been experienced with the bank regard signatories to the new mandate. Until these difficulties have been resolved it will be necessary for MS to retain the cheque and paying-in books.
 
Item 5. Planning Report from Mr M Hieatt
See attached report - in Planning section of website.
 
Item 6. Heritage Weekend 2017 - Progress
MS said the group had met on the 6th December and good progress had been made. Next meeting of the group is scheduled for the 27th January
 
Item 7. Arrangements and Publicity for the Meeting on the 18th January.
MS expressed disquiet regarding the apparent lack of posters distributed and said there are posters available in the SJB Centre if members could assist with this requirement. MS said a copy of the poster had already been emailed to all members but we needed to attract non-members as well.

Item 8. Consideration of comment to ELDC regarding its apparent change of policy with respect to UPVC windows in the Conservation Area.
MH said ELDC appear to be making decisions on individual cases rather than adhering to an unequivocal policy regarding UPVC windows. MS said we need ELDC to clarify the situation. MH agreed to write to ELDC seeking such clarification.
 
Item 9. Progress on Roman Wall Conservation
MS read out the report from Sheila Jonkers. See attached Report or will be forwarded later.
 
Item 10. Replacement of Planters on West Street
MH said there is now the possibility/probability of Horncastle Town Council funding being made available for new planters!
 
Item 11. Proposed Entry for the Flora Murray Award
MS said this is an SLHA award and last year we had put forward the horse sculptures. After some debate it was agreed to put forward the WW1 book this year
 
Item 12. Repainting of the Horse Statues
MS said there is a need to resolve how these statues should be preserved and there are widely different proposals from our two "in-house” experts. BW (expert No.1) said the statues are made of mild steel and will eventually continue to rust if left untreated and he advocated a degree of de-rusting be carried out followed by re-painting; however David Birchall (expert No.2) believed the best solution was to uplift the statues, have them shot-blasted and then powder coated before replacement. After some debate it was agreed that although the uplifting proposal had long-term merits it would be very expensive and therefore a proposal by RA, seconded by TB to opt for re-paining this year was carried unanimously with the proviso this subject be reviewed in twelve months time.
 
Item 13. Progress on Projects
MS said there will be a meeting next week with the HTC Clerk regarding the proposed notice boards.
 
Item 14. Any Other Relevant Matters
MS said the annual Heckington Show is always well attended and we now have an opportunity to have a presence at the next event on the 29th/30th July this year. The cost will be £25.00 . Debated and agreed.
 
Item 15. Date of Next Meeting
It was agreed the next Executive Committee Meeting would be held on the 2nd March 2017 at No. 4 Low Toynton Close. Commencing at 2.15pm.
 
Trevor Butterworth
Minutes Secretary

Executive meeting November 2016
Minutes of the meeting 10th November

Horncastle History & Heritage Society Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held on the 10th November 2016 at 1415 hours at No. 4 Low Toynton Close, Horncastle

Present:Mary Silverton (MS) Chairman, Jean Forgham (JF), Annie Clark (AC), Marilyn Hieatt (MH), Chrissie Chapman (CC) & Trevor Butterworth (TB) Minutes Sec.
 
1. Apologies:Ruth Addison (RA) & Bob Wayne (BW)
MS accepted apologies from those derailed above.
 
2. Approval of Executive Minutes 21/09/16 & Matters Arising
These Minutes were agreed as a reasonably true record of what took place. Under Matters Arising MS confirmed the Christmas Party would be held on the 9th December at the Admiral Rodney Hotel and the cost will be £19.95 per person and limited to a maximum of thirty. First come...! Cheques made out to the Admiral Rodney to be with MS by the 30th November.
 
3. Correspondence
MS said there has been a lot of archive usage via the webpage and done with an appropriate donation. MS then produced a scrapbook of newspaper cuttings about Horncastle. This book had been found in a Tewksbury bookshop and sent to MS. A brief perusal of the content indicated this will be another item of interest in our archive.
 
4. Donation from Olive Lodge of the Freemasons and its use
This comprised a further gift of £500. MS suggested using some of the latter to repair/renovate various Archive books. Discussed and agreed to also use some of this generous donation on our planters. CC agreed to investigate costs regarding book renovations.
 
5. Financial Report
MS said there was £1,183.00 in the deposit account and £2,204.00 in the current account.
 
6. Planning Report from Mr M Hieatt
See attached report.
 
7. Heritage Weekend 2017 - Progress
CC said this would be during the 7th-10th September 2017. MS said a small Working Group (WG) is needed to progress this project and CC volunteered to chair it. MS indicated BW &RA would also be involved and MH also volunteered to serve.
 
8. Consideration of Lincolnshire Voice Exhibition from LCC
MS briefed the meeting on this proposed exhibition as a possible event next springtime in the Stanhope Hall. Further details to be obtained by MS
 
9. Arrangements & Publicity for the 16th November Meeting
MS said the meeting would be held in the upstairs main room in the Admiral Rodney and CC would be running the show! TB apologised in advance for none attendance at what promised to be an entertaining evening.
 
10. Christmas Stalls – Requirements
MS said a second stall at a cost of £25.00 had been booked. TB said he would provide the cover. MS said help will be required to erect stalls and also man them. MS said more chocolate required. AC volunteered to host the setting up of the tombola on Thursday, 1st December at No. 10 Harrison Close starting at 1.00 pm. This will involve sticking a raffle ticket on each item of chocolate and tearing up the counterfoils – time consuming so many volunteers will be welcome.
 
11. Consideration of Honorary Membership for Colin Gascoyne
MS suggested two years but after a brief debate it was agreed to offer him a lifetime honorary membership.
 
12. Progress on Projects
MS said the Information Boards project with the three-way meeting now required volunteers to work with her and the Town Clerk in order to progress any further. Contact MS if interested. MS said the old cattle (pig?) pen next to the Black Swan public house looks shabby and dilapidated and is in need of painting and perhaps some metal animal (pigs?) artwork to remind people of its heritage.
 
13. Any Other Relevant Matters - none

14. Date of Next Meeting
It was agreed the next Executive Committee Meeting would be held on the 12t January 2016 at No. 4 Low Toynton Close. Commencing at 2.15pm.


Trevor Butterworth
Minutes Secretary


Executive meeting 12th May 2016
Minutes of executive meeting

Horncastle History & Heritage Society – Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held on the12th May 2016 at 1415 hours at No. 4 Low Toynton Close, Horncastle

 
PresentMary Silverton (MS) Chairman, Annie Clark (AC), Marilyn Hieatt (MH) Bob Wayne (BW) & Trevor Butterworth (TB)
 
ApologiesDr David Lawrence, & Michael Hieatt
 
Item 1. Apologies for Absence
MS accepted apologies from those detailed above.
 
Item 2. Approval of Executive Minutes of 7/4/2016 & Any Matters Arising
It was agreed these Minutes represented a reasonably true record of what took place. MS asked as to progress with the proposed Garden Party and would it be possible to hold in the Manor House gardens? After a short debate it was agreed yes and keep attendance to members and friends. Saturday 16th July, starting at 2.00pm was suggested as the date and time. Cakes and liquid refreshment would be required. Paul Scott, Bob Wayne and Keith Sellers to lead a Town Walk with a return NLT 3.30 pm. An RSVP would be required as well.
 
Item 3. Correspondence
MS said the statues for RAF Ingham had been done and would be unveiled on the 26th May. MS and Bob Wayne plus David Birchall would be attending this event.
 
Item 4. Financial Report
MS said the accounts were with the Auditor and a full financial report would be given at the AGM.
 
Item 5. Planning
See attached report from Michael Hieatt.
 
Item 6The Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebrations
MS said Bob Wayne & David Birchall are making a wooden cut-out of a horse and it will have a red, blue & gold theme to reflect the theme colours and needs to be suitably decorated. The horse will be on a trailer with the HHH banner prominently displayed and volunteer members (preferably in period costume!) escorting it. Also agreed to a throne and the Queen sat on the trailer. We also need volunteer members to help with the decorating and painting! Names to MS soonest. Bob Wayne to check with the Lion Theatre on possible availability of the period costumes.
 
Item 7. AGM
MS reminded members the AGM is on the 1st June 2016 at the Admiral Rodney Hotel starting at 7.30 pm. MS said there will not be a speaker and she will be sending out a list of "posts” to all members in order they may consider which one they wished to volunteer for...!
 
Item 8. Three-Way Meeting
MS said the theme is "Working Together" – presumably to try and make our town a more attractive place for both residents and potential visitors. The Town Clerk is actively using media facilities to try and achieve this. A change of name from TWM has been suggested e.g. "Totally Local” or even "Totally Horncastle”?
 
Item 9. Sleaford Visit
MS said unfortunately the two-groups plan failed because one group took longer completing its tour than was originally planned which left the other group bereft and somewhat dissatisfied with their lot! We will do it again sometime!
 
Item 10. Visit to Gainsborough Old Hall
MS said the planned arrival on Wednesday, 26th October at the Old Hall was for 11.30 am (approx) and go directly to the cafe/restaurant for some sustenance before commencing the tour at 1.00 pm. Departure would be at about 3.30pm. MH agreed to organise tranport for this event. Concessions £5.60 with 10% discount for a group. Members wishing to attend should respond directly to MS.
 
Item 11. Project Update
Planters – MH has this in hand. BW has been to examine the "old” planters with a view to assessing any refurbishment potential..! MS said the David Robinson Newspaper cuttings are a mammoth task but now has five volunteers working on it. The Town Walk leaflet is still Work in Progress!
 
Item 12. Any Other Business
The interpretation board for the horse sculptures has now been sited. A letter of thanks to be sent to Peter Fidies.
 
Item 13. Date of Next Meeting
This was agreed as being the 23rd June at 2.15 pm at the Chairman’s residence.
 

Trevor Butterworth
Minutes Secretary

Horncastle History & Heritage Society – Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held on the 7th April 2016 at 1415 hours at No. 4 Low Toynton Close, Horncastle

Present: Mary Silverton (MS) Chairman , Annie Clark(AC), Marilyn Hieatt (MH)& Trevor Butterworth (TB) 
Apologies: Dr David Lawrence, Bob Wayne & Michael Hieatt

 1. Apologies for Absence 
MS accepted apologies from those detailed above.

 2. Approval of Executive Minutes of 25/2/2016 & Any Matters Arising
It was agreed these Minutes represented a reasonably true record of what took place. MS advised the WW1 plaque in the Horncastle War Memorial Centre has been relocated to an area accessible by the public.    
MS added all the seats in the Lion Theatre have already been sponsored prior to our donation.
 
 3. Correspondence 
MS said the Friends of St. Mary’s Church were having an Open Day in the Church and would be screening our DVD "Horncastle Then & Now” and should have sought our permission since the HHH hold the copyright.    
TB apologised for this oversight and requested the Committee consider granting retrospective permission.     It did and it was agreed copies of this DVD would be made available for sale in the Church on the aforementioned Open Day.
MS said the statues for RAF Ingham had been done and would be unveiled on the 26th May. MS and Bob Wayne plus David Birchall would be attending this event.
MS said the Chairman of the HHH had been invited to "the” Garden Party on the 19th May and a positive response had been forwarded.
MS said 31 members had put their names down for the Sleaford visit.
        
 4. Financial Report 
        MS said income for the past year was £1,926 and expenditure £2,681 (inc. WW1 spend).  The actual income from membership fees & events had been £1,656 with an Expenditure of £1,010.   Available funds in the Bank were currently £4,500.

 5. Planning
See attached report from Michael Hieatt.
1.
 6. The Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebrations
MS said Bob Wayne & David Birchall are making a wooden cut-out of a horse and it will be painted red, blue & gold to reflect the theme colours and needs to be suitably decorated.   The horse will be on a trailer with the HHH banner prominently displayed and volunteer members (preferably in period costume!) escorting it.   We also need volunteer members to help with the decorating and painting!   Names to MS soonest.   Bob Wayne to check with the Lion Theatre on possible availability of the period costumes.

 7. AGM  
MS reminded members the AGM is on the 1st June 2016 at the Admiral Rodney Hotel starting at 7.30 pm.   MS said there will not be a speaker and she will be sending out a list of "posts” to all members in order they may consider which one they wished to volunteer for...!

 8. Visit to Sleaford
MS said there were already 31 names on the list.   She added the Gainsborough visit to the old Guildhall was currently work in progress.
 
 9. Planters
MH said the arrival of the first two was imminent and reminded the meeting we had taken on the responsibility for the three hanging basket displays in the Market Square.   MS said Bob Wayne had been asked to seek the Lions Club assistance with the very necessary refurbishment of the three planters adorning the traffic hazard at the far end of West Street.
 
 10. Projects
  MS said the leaflets project had been priced but no further action until funding is available.    
The External Artwork is still work in progress and the Horse Statues information board is awaiting installation.  
MS said the book is also work in progress.       

 11. Any Other Business
a) MS said the HHH would no longer be represented on the Wong Committee.            
b) MS said possible speakers for future events were:
(1) Mike Fowler - Horncastle & Area Railways (Marilyn offered accommodation)
(2) Valarie Wood – author; writes about the Hull area
(3) Trevor Rogers – Gunby Hall & Gardens
(4) Mike Credland – Martin Manor Hall Stables
c) MS said the Society has been gifted a comprehensive thesis on the Children’s Home and is based on the year 1952.  It is a fascinating, informative and an in-depth study of an era and an organisation that is unique in Horncastle’s history. MS said she will have it professionally bound before it becomes a valued asset within our archive collection.

12. Date of Next Meeting
This was agreed as being the 12th May at 2.15 pm at the Chairman’s residence.

Trevor Butterworth           
Minutes Secretary




Minutes: Executive 25th February 2016
Notes on meeting covering plans for Queens Birthday,Lion theatre, Town Walk leaflet and Planning matters

Horncastle History & Heritage Society – Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held on the 25th February 2016 at 1415 hours at No. 4 Low Toynton Close, Horncastle

Present: Mary Silverton (MS) Chairman, Dr David Lawrence (DL) & Trevor Butterworth (TB)

Apologies: Annie Clark, Rod Sambrook & Richard Barker

Absent: Bob Wayne & Marilyn Hieatt



Item 1. Apologies for Absence

 MS accepted apologies from those detailed above.

Item 2. Approval of Executive Minutes of 14/01/2016 & Any Matters Arrising

 It was agreed these Minutes represented a reasonably true record of what took place. MS advised the accounts should have read £5,290.00 and not £52,900.00! MS further advised that under Correspondence it should have read "National Award” and not International Award. MS added there had been a very welcome influx of volunteers to assist with the archiving task.

Item 3. Correspondence

 ”Clean for the Queen” campaign takes place on Saturday, 5th March. MS will circulate details regarding participation to all members. MS said while archiving Homeleigh information a photograph of a WW1 plaque had emerged and subsequently was located in the War Memorial Hospital building but regrettably in a corridor not accessible by the public. MS suggested it would be better placed in the Stanhope Hall. Agreed and MS to communicate this to the Chairman of the Stanhope Hall Committee for consideration and action. MS produced a poster advertising the topic for our 16th March General Meeting – "Off the Beeton Track” and it was agreed MS should circulate this to all members. MS then introduced draft copies of the proposed cover for the "Horncastle’s Great War” book and it was agreed to be very suitable.

Item 4. Financial Report

 MS indicated there had been no substantial change to the figures recorded in the previous Minutes.

Item 5. Planning Report

 The following is a brief dilution of DL’s verbal report on the following planning issues:

a) 14 South Street. Change of use to a Sandwich Bar.

b) Crown Inn, West Street. An application for Qty 8 B & B units. Parking issues

c) Shop next to Perkins, Newsagents. Two letters of concern sent – no response!

d) 5a High Street (was Johnsons Greengrocers) – Building Control issues.

e) Black Swan Public House – broken bottles and glass at the rear on Wong land!

f) Foundry Street – new build in what was Peter Foster’s garden. An application has been submitted to change the conditions to justify unauthorised work already carried out that isn’t in accord with the original approved conditions..! DL said this type of "remedial” or retrospective application has become more and more common place during the past two years.

Item 6. The Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebrations

 MS said these celebrations take place over the 10th – 12th June 2016 and on Saturday 11th there is to be a grand parade of floats with a red, white & gold theme and the Society should be involved – but how? A limited debate revealed a Horse Fair theme involving about three wooden horse silhouettes (life size & similar to the steel ones) plus suitably attired members on an appropriately sized trailer would be an achievable possibility. Needs further consideration.

Item 7. Lion Theatre – Refurbishment of Seating

 MS said sponsorship was being sort for this project at £80.00 a seat and this will include a suitable plaque on the seat acknowledging the sponsor. It was agreed we sponsor one seat.

Item 8. AGM Speaker

 MS said it was hoped to have the ELDC Councillor who holds the Planning Portfolio but has not received any response. Fiona Martin to be asked to chase.

Item 9. Town Walk Leaflet

 Bob Pendell has been progressing this project with the "Walkers are Welcome” group, MS said Cupits would produce some 5,000 leaflets for about £750.00. After some debate TB suggested MS contact the Grants Manager for the Horncastle & District Healthcare & Wellbeing Fund for a grant application form and stressing the "healthy” aspect of this project.

Item 10. Any Other Relevant Business

DL said the current infestation of pigeons in the Town and surrounding residential areas was the worse it has ever been. MS said the Three Way Group had already addressed this and had urged business and commercial premises to take preventative actions. DL indicated feeding pigeons should be "discouraged”!

Item 11. Date of Next Meeting

 Is the 7th April 2016 at No.4, Low Toynton Road at 1415 hours. Meeting closed at 4.00pm.

Trevor Butterworth

Minutes of the Meeting of the Horncastle Heritage and History Society Executive Committee held on 14th January 2016.

Present: Mary Silverton (Chairman), Bob Wayne (Secretary), Marilyn Hieatt, David Lawrence, Trevor Butterworth, Annie Clark.

Apologies: Rod Sambrook. Mary S had received apologies from Richard Barker, sadly he indicated personal circumstances would prevent him from attending future meetings.

The minutes of the meeting held on 03.12.15 were approved as a true record.

Matters Arising: Mary S reported that she had received a load more valuable stuff from David Robinson. In order to accommodate volunteers the archive openings will be changed to Wednesdays 10:15 hrs to 12:30hrs. A charge of £5.00 is made for access to the archives by non members.

Bob W reported that the interpretation board for horses had been delivered to Dave B, they would do the rest ASAP.

Correspondence: Sheila Jonkers Roman Display in the Library attracted much attention and a national award. The residual typed information sheet reflected little credit to HHH and should go.

Society Organisation: Trevor B had to leave early and requested that the committee discuss the composition of the next committee. Mary B’s vision is that tasks be shared over a larger number of members ;- Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Secretary, Funding Officer, Archive and Website Manager, PR Officer, Program Secretary, Projects Co-ordinator. This would involve more members and by narrowing the responsibilities make the posts less demanding. The good news is that Michael Hieatt has already agreed to take over planning. Fears were expressed that this could lead to an unduly large committee, our constitution allows up to 10, a larger committee would it was hoped spread responsibility.

Accounts: Mary S reported that the audit of the accounts had been signed off. The bank balances was £5290.00 now reduced to £4737.00 after paying for the computer and making a donation to SJB Soc.

Committee changes required a change of bank signatories. Rod S and Claire K will be removed and it was agreed that David L would be appointed signatory.

AGM: Mary S hoped to get the ELDC Head of Planning as speaker.

Christmas event: Everybody agreed that it had been very successful, Paul Scott’s talk had been interesting. It was agreed that Friday night was a good choice and a folky music group could be enjoyable in the future. Members to bring forward ideas at the next meeting .

Christmas Fair: It was agreed that event had been successful making £341.00, people had been very generous and the format was successful.

Future events: There is an obvious need for a fund raising event, rather than a coffee morning it was suggested that we organise a historic town walk, starting and finishing at the Manor House, thanks to the Hieatts. The price would be £5.00 which would include tea and cakes.

The next meeting 20.01.2016: Mary S will bring the PowerPoint projector and computer to show members the archive database and examples of photos especially those from the Johnson and Pocklington collections. Marilyn H said we must remind members that we are looking for new committee members.

Roman Wall: The next step is still to get a site survey, this is being organised by the Community Centre Chairman Stephen Holdaway with Sheila’s encouragement. The mild weather has discouraged the die back of undergrowth slowing the process. Bob W reported that the trees growing on top of the wall have been felled. Sheila J is very keen to form an interest group.

Planning Report: David L reported his principle concern is with No 5A the High Street (was Johnsons fruit and veg) Permission has been gained for two 1st floor flats but the ground floor looks far from stable. David has written to the Enforcement Officer and received assurances that an architect had been appointed and was working with the Conservation Officer. Nothing much has happened, various steel sections have been delivered. It was agreed that David L should write again to the enforcement Officer, the Mayor, Cllr Fiona Martin if only to remind them that we are watching.

Another building that is causing concern is the old bicycle shop next to Perkins. This building is deteriorating rapidly with the shop window looking very poor. Should the building be demolished any replacement would be very visible, Members felt its present state was an eyesore in the middle of town.

David L’s other concerns is the continuing trend towards retrospective applications, a classic example being the new terrace in Foundry Street that was erected with entirely different window detail and roof pitch to the approved plans. That ELDC appear to have given planning permission for new bungalows on Thimbleby Hill without any agreement on sewerage connections with Anglia Water, worrying trend!

Wong Action Group: Mary S intended to attend a meeting, that evening with the Wong Committee, Town Council and ELDC to review progress. She didn’t expect much to happen at this time.

The Town Trail: Mary S showed a leaflet from St Neots printed on two sides of A4 which was a lot simpler (and less expensive) than the ELDC one use currently.

AOB: Mike Credland who had been so helpful with the WWl exhibitions has opened a private museum at Martin – A possible visit.

Next meeting: Thursday 25th February 2016 at 2.15pm.

Next members meeting: 20th January

Meeting closed: 16:30hrs.

Minutes of the Meeting of the Horncastle Heritage and History Society Executive Committee held on 3rdDecember 2015. 
Present: Mary Silverton (Chairman), Bob Wayne (Secretary),  Marilyn Hieatt, David Lawrence,  Trevor Butterworth.
 
Apologies: Annie Clark,  Rod Sambrook.
 
The minutes of the meeting held on 12.11.15 were approved as a true record.
 
Matters Arising:  Mary S reported that some of  the stuff she received from David Robinson is quite unique though the newspapers are very fragile. There are for instance all the minutes from Day 1 of the College which may be of limited interest but are irreplaceable. Mary appealed for help with the archive, three new members had volunteered though Monday mornings are not ideal.  The wood for the board at the horses has arrived thanks to Peter Fides, Bob W will chase Sprint Signs.
 
Correspondence: Ongoing!  
 
DVD Sales: The Town DVDs are selling well,  Perkins have already sold the first batch and re-ordered. At this rate the costs of the re-print are nearly covered.  Priced at £9.99,  the SJB Centre are now starting to display them. and Perkins.
 
Accounts: Because many of the on-line invoices had not been printed, Phil Smith had been unable to carry out the audit. Mary had at great  expense in time managed to retrieve them. The bank balances are: Current Acc £4015, Deposit acc £1200.00. These figures include £2200.00 of HLF funding for the WWl event book leaving about £1800 uncommitted. The SHLA subs were not paid last year, we will re-join in 2016.
 
Christmas event: Friday 11th December at the  Community Centre.  23 people had booked and paid,  Paul Scott and Trish have been offered free tickets. It is assumed the final figure will be around 27.  Bob W  inform Sue Kind. Marilyn H to provide table centres and napkins and after much debate will probably find crackers. 
Paul  Scott  will show  the Town DVD, Bob W to liaise.  Meet at  the Community Centre at 6pm to set up. Glasses to be borrowed from St Mary’s. 
 
Christmas Fair 06.12.15: All meet at 09:00hrs to set up,  Bob W to borrow the canopy and clips. Annie C had done a grand job collecting  chocolates for the "Choc” Tombola. Cards kindly donate by a Grantham member and DVDs will be on sale.
 
Planters: Marilyn H reported that the bridge planters had been disposed of, the Town Council will be providing planters to hang on the river rails. Marilyn said she didn’t expect physical effort from the Council but their support is appreciated. Marilyn to talk to Crowders re competitive prices for plants.  The West street planters will probably last a bit longer but need looking at.

The Town Trail:  The extension to take in more Wong and the horses is being progressed, Bob Pendall’s involvement is appreciated. Working with Horncastle Walkers are Welcome the plan is  to re-print the guide, set up Rod’s interpretation boards and fix direction signs all as one big HLF application. 
 
WWl Book:  All is going well, Ann Duncan has resigned but Mary S and Colin Gasgoigne  are still confident of completing by the end of  March when the grant runs out.  Rod S will proof read, the book will be professionally printed at a cost of £11.49/copy. The grant will also include buying a dedicated computer for the archive room.
Archive Room:  To go with the new computer Mary S has taken out a subscription with "365” to "future proof” the records by automatically updating all programs. It was agreed that a donation of £200.00 be made to SJB for use of the room.
 
Speakers and trips  for 2016:  Gainsborough Old Hall has been booked for the last week of October, U3A will probably join us sharing a bus. A return visit to Sleaford Civic Society (membership 1)  is planned for 20th April. We will view their new museum and then have a guided tour of the town and church  led by Sherry Renault. The talk by the Lincoln Tank Group is still planned for January but not confirmed.  Suggestions for other events included a talk by Alan Maskall on the fire service and a visit to Boston Guildhall.
 
Planning:  David L’s felt that there was no need for a report as there had been little activity:  report was read out: Plans for nos 9-11 West Street were passed. The house on the plat at the the Stanhope Road end of Banks Street had been turned down. David had received detail plans of the Louth Road Development. He felt they were inconsistent and lacking in detail especially as regards sewers and surface water disposal. He had taken this up with the planners.
 
Action on Committee vacancies: Mary S emphasised  the need to appoint new officers, it is her intention to stand down at the AGM,  David L wished to give up planning, BobW said he was only stand in  secretary. On solution would be to spread the load appointing members to take on individual responsibility for planning, trips, speakers newsletter, room hire, speakers etc. David L said he could do fund raising, Bob W to do PR, Trevor B membership , 
Next meeting: Thursday 14th January 2016 at 2.15pm.
Next members, meeting 20th January 
Meeting closed: 16:30hrs.


Meeting Dates

Proposed Dates of meetings for 2016 & 2017. All meetings to be held at the new premises, Watson's Infant School, West Street at 7.30pm, unless otherwise stated.

2017 

18th January

Mike Fowler - Railways & particularly Horncastle branch line

15th March

Richard D'Arcy - Smuggling on the Lincolnshire Coast

 

30th April 

Lincolnshire Voices of the Great War Exhibition 

10am to 4pm Stanhope Hall 

17th May

AGM

17th June

National Civic Day- Display of Town Archives at Community Centre 

19th July

Alan Maskell - Lincolnshire Fire Service

10th September 

Heritage Open Day Event -Horrid History of Horncastle, Tour of Victorian Police cells & exhibition at Chatterton's Solicitors. 

20th September

Francis Dymoke - The Queen's Champion 

15 November

Crissie Chapman - Katherine Swynford, Daughter of Lincolnshire & Mother of a Dynasty. 

Subject to availability