Our first school was the Queen Elizabeth grammar school dating from the 13th century.

Queen Elizabeth grammar school was positioned just south of the church, now called Church Lane. The building was demolished and rebuilt in 1788 and still stands. This was followed by Watsons Infant School in West Street, National and British schools and a Weslyan school.


This page is currently being updated with new content.